Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I Don't Know Anything About Museums

I never thought I'd work in a museum but I am.
I have been writing about museums, education, and social media for a while now. I have had various blogs over time and have always been challenged to keep them going. I think with my use of twitter I have finally found a true outlet for my thoughts and ideas and interests. It has been a place where I have stayed mostly professional, sought to share things that I believed others with similar career interests to mine would enjoy, and I almost never use it as a platform to kick my dog. (Metaphorical dog. No mail please!)
But Twitter is too brief. It’s the kind of thing that helps me keep up with the latest’s news in social media, education, non-profit world stuff and even local entertainment for families. So I thought I could take my blog the twitter route. There are plenty of times I want to write an extended post about a great exhibit I've seen, or talk about an innovative practice in management, or just crow about a cool web site or ad campaign. Before I was limiting myself to topics concerning social media or education. But the truth is I am a middle manager who used to be a school teacher. I knew nothing about museums but was made Associate Director of Education and placed over a plethora of projects. The main reason for the success is meeting audience needs, establishing relationships, and empowering those who you work with to be leaders.
So these are the kinds of things I am interested in and will be writing about. I don't have all the experience in the world but I do have opinions. I do aggregate data. And best of all I am funny. So hope you will follow me on my journey of learning about how to do my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment